A father who shot and killed his own son in the head in an apparent act of self-defence has pleaded not guilty.
The 41-year-old man, who was in his 40s, has been charged with murder.
“I don’t want to be a victim.
I’m a victim of my own actions,” the man’s father, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told the ABC.
His father told the BBC he was shocked and disappointed to hear of the shooting.
He said he had a “very good relationship” with his son and had forgiven him for killing his son.
Earlier, the father told local media the shooting occurred after he confronted his son for a drug deal.
Mr Andrews said his son had been taken to the toilet by the family’s neighbour who was drunk and was acting belligerent.
At some point, he heard someone scream, and he went to investigate.
“(I) saw my son lying in the street with a bloody face, with a gun on his shoulder,” he said.
Police and emergency services were called to the home on the outskirts of Melbourne, about 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of Melbourne’s CBD, shortly after 3.30am local time on Thursday (local time).
Mr Andrews told reporters he was with his father when he saw his son on the floor with a gunshot wound.
As paramedics tended to the man, he said, “He started talking”.
Mr Osborne said his client had been “shocked” by the incident.
Melbourne’s Premier Mike Baird said Mr Andrews was “deeply saddened” by what happened.
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mark Scott said the shooting was “not a random act of violence”.
“There is no doubt that the man involved in this incident was a self-confessed violent and dangerous person,” he told reporters.
There are concerns the man may have acted out of anger and frustration after the father had refused to hand over drugs to his son, the ABC reported.
Investigators are trying to establish whether the shooting may have been a case of domestic violence, the report said.
Police are also investigating whether the man had any links to violent groups or gangs. ABC/wires